Saturday, December 12, 2015

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Josh and I took a little trip to our happy place this month to see it decorated for Christmas!

The photographer told me to show my muscles and told Josh to act like a princess

I have now only experienced Disneyland at Christmastime three times...and each time I fall in love a little bit more. I love Christmas as it is, so to see my happy place all decorated with lots of pretty lights and garlands and trees? It's the best!


 Main Street tree in Disneyland

Buena Vista Street tree in California Adventure

The day we got there happened to be one of the days they were doing the Candelight Processional. This is something I have wanted to experience for quite a few years now. My parents took a trip to Disneyland soon after my sister got married and they were able to see it. I didn't even know it existed before then. So when I found out after we planned our trip that we would be there during the Processional, I was super excited!

For those that have never heard of it, it's a beautiful performance. They have singers from local high schools and choirs, as well as cast members from Disneyland, that perform Christmas carols on the steps of the train station on Main Street. A guest celebrity narrator is also asked to read the Christmas story...from the Bible! It was seriously one of the coolest things I've ever experienced. I was tearing up quite a few times as I looked around at the thousands of people that were hearing the story of Jesus's birth in Disneyland. It was such an incredible performance and I'm so glad we were able to get a spot to view it! The narrator for our performance was Lana Parrilla from Once Upon a Time (Regina/The Evil Queen).



Earlier that day, Josh and I walked through the new Star Wars Launch Bay to see what they had in there. It was filled with lots of really cool movie props, character meet and greets (we got to meet Chewbacca, as the line happened to only be about 5 minutes when we walked by), and a gift shop with tons of really cool (but expensive) Star Wars stuff you could buy.




The following day, we got a text in the morning that our friend S.W. was going to come join us for the day! He is an amazing photographer and happened to be in the area for a photo shoot, so he decided to come and hang out in Disneyland with us! We had a really fun day and were able to experience a lot of cool stuff, including the recently updated Star Tours and Hyperspace Mountain (a Star Wars overlay on the current Space Mountain).


The only group picture we got with S.W.

Star Wars Cantina in the Star Wars Launch Bay



The next day, we had a couple of things on our list that were very important that we do. One was to see the Aladdin Musical one last time, as they are replacing it next year with a Frozen show (don't even get me started on my feelings on that one). It's a show I've probably seen four or five times now, but it never gets old. The Genie is always hilarious, and his jokes often have to do with current events (like Justin Bieber crying at the VMAs and references to Shake It Off from Taylor Swift). I'm so glad we were able to see it again.



We also made reservations at the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, as it is closing for good for the new Star Wars Land they are building in Disneyland. Josh and I had never eaten there before, so we wanted to try it out before it was too late. And man, was it good! It's an unlimited buffet of chicken, ribs and sausage, as well as coleslaw, corn on the cob, baked beans and biscuits. We also had to order dessert, even though we barely put a dent in it. It was delicious! If you are planning a trip to Disneyland before January 11th, I highly recommend eating there!





Josh also really wanted to see the bartenders in the Carthay Circle Lounge make the ice spheres that they put in some of their drinks, as they have this fancy way of doing it, but he wasn't able to see it. He did order a drink, which came with an ice sphere, but it ended up being diamond shaped for the Diamond Celebration. It was still cool, but I suppose we will have to try and see the ice spheres another time.




We also made a point this trip to go on the train one more time, as it will be closed for over a year during the Star Wars Land construction, and we rode on Soarin' over California one last time, as it will become Soarin' over the World (or whatever they end up calling it) next year. That has been one of our absolute favorites and I really hope they add some good smells into the new version.




We were also able to see the Good Dinosaur preview, and decided on one of our nights there to see the movie in the theater in Downtown Disney. If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it. It made me cry quite a few times, and it is a really powerful story. Josh and I both really enjoyed it.



I was also able to get some more pressed coins to add to my collection. I discovered earlier this year that they put out new machines for the 60th, so I've been trying to collect at least one coin from each of those machines. I think I am only missing one or two currently, as I forgot to stop by a couple of them on this trip. Pressed pennies used to be one of my favorite souvenirs as a kid and I've recently re-discovered my love for them. Besides, they are much cheaper than most souvenirs you will find at Disneyland.

We also found the Little Man of Disneyland's house! If you've never heard of him before, there is an old book called The Little Man of Disneyland about Patrick Begorra, a leprechaun who took up residence in a tree in a secret location in Disneyland, after finding out that Disneyland was going to be built where his current home in an orange tree was located. The imagineers of Disneyland recently "added" Patrick's house on a tree in Adventureland. If you ever want to try and find it, I suggest hanging around Indiana Jones.



We didn't go on every ride on this trip, but we did everything we really wanted to do. And since we got to do a lot of extra stuff as well, I'd say this was a very successful Christmastime Disneyland trip!



Until next time!

No comments: