Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Being Thankful in the Midst of Trials

At the beginning of this month, I debated about posting things on social media somewhere that I was thankful for.

I've done it in the past on Facebook and Twitter, where I would post each day what I was thankful for that day. A few years ago, I kept track of things on my phone and did a weekly recap on my blog. Last year I posted collages on my personal Instagram account of the people and moments I was thankful for.

I think it's such a good practice to remember the things we are thankful for. It's something I wish I did on a more regular basis and not just during the month of November.

But sometimes it's also very hard to be thankful. When in the midst of trials, when things seem like they're falling apart, when life is throwing you curve ball after curve ball.

And yet, we are called to:

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, NIV)

Wherever you find yourself this November, on this day, in 2016, I hope you are able to look around and find some things to be thankful for. Whether it's your health or the health of a loved one, your kids, your job, your home, the food on your table, your friends, your spouse, or even the fact that God still has you on this earth...I hope we can all find something to be thankful for.

This election and everything surrounding it has brought out so many negative and hateful emotions and actions in so many of us. Let's cling to love and be thankful in all circumstances, in spite of the bad stuff. Let's remember that we are called to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. Let's live our lives caring for others and valuing them above ourselves.

No comments: