Friday, August 12, 2011

Food is Not my Friend

I love fast food.

Like, a lot.

I pretty much like any food that is not good for me to eat in excess.

Yet lately, I've just been so sick of it.

Nothing fried even sounds good to me.

(Yellow squash and zucchini)

Maybe it's because I've been feeling convicted to get healthy again.


(Add a little extra virgin olive oil so they don't stick to the pan)


For those that don't know, I used to be a ballerina (WAY back in the day. We're talking 10 years ago). It was my passion for the majority of my life. I lived and breathed it.


(Add a little salt...and a little pepper)


Right around the time I turned sixteen, I decided to just take jazz dance lessons and stop the ballet. I took jazz for another three years before I quit dancing altogether.


(Stir frequently so they don't burn)

And, when I quit dancing, I quit exercising on a regular basis...and I have never been able to get back into that routine (for those that know how old I am, you'll know it's been quite a few years that I haven't been working out).


(Once they're getting close to being done, add a little butter or margarine)


Needless to say, I've tried, on and off, to get into something...but nothing ever sticks...because I love eating horrible food and I love watching TV in the evenings with my husband.


(Let the butter melt completely)


So, I finally decided it was time to change all that.


(Voila! Don't they look yummy?)


I exercised twice this week...for the first time in about a month and a half...and it felt good! I got the sweat going, I got my heart racing, and I was out of breath. It was such a good feeling.


(Red potatoes, washed and ready to be cut up)


The hubby and I also made dinner together on Tuesday night (for those that don't know me very well, I am not a huge fan of cooking). It was so much fun! Josh was outside BBQing up some chicken breasts while I was inside cooking up some yummy yellow squash and zucchini, and red potatoes with rosemary and basil (and now the pictures finally make sense, huh?). We topped off our meal with a glass of milk. It was fabulous! We both enjoyed it so much and felt healthy while we were eating it. We decided that we are going to try our best to eat like that as often as we can. While we both love our pasta and other things that aren't the best for us, we both are sick of not feeling good about ourselves.


(I cut each potato in four sections)


So, my goal is to exercise at least 3 times a week, and to cook at least 5 healthy meals in a week. I'm also being careful not to just eat whatever I feel like. When I've had the urge to eat something sweet, I've instead grabbed some baby carrots. One thing I have not decided to give up is soda. There may come a day in the near future that I change my mind...but for now...that is my splurge (and trust me, I don't drink soda all the time. On an average week, I probably only have four or five total).


(Put a little extra virgin olive oil in the pan, as well as some rosemary and basil)


I set some other goals, too...but those can be saved for another blog post.


(I kept them covered most of the time and just shook the pan a few times to make sure they weren't burning. It only took about 15 mins for them to cook)


If anyone has any advice on ways to eat healthy or tips on good exercise programs (that preferably do not require a gym membership or tons of money), I would be very grateful!

(The finished product! I don't have any pics of the chicken...because I was inside taking care of everything else while my husband was BBQing outside. He just used a little bit of teriyaki sauce on the chicken breasts)



6 comments:

Vanessa said...

looks so yummy! Good x u!

The Olive Tree Blog said...

looks good!! My little sister was/is an amazing dancer...you know the kind that could do it for a living? She is a senior in high school and just quite this year...I think I was more sad than she was

Katrina said...

www.myfitnesspal.com is a great tool! I am starting to get back into using it if you want to add me as a friend... gdy2shoes23

Kyle Parish said...

i used to dance in high school. i understand what you're saying. it's hard to find anything that compares with it!

Anonymous said...

I have never cooked red potatoes like that. Those look yummy! I'm gonna have to try that soon. And I, too, love snacking on crap foods and watching tv with the hubs. :0)

Kelly said...

mmm...looks so good!